Understanding the differences between snowshoe cat vs Ragdoll will help you understand each breed to help you make an informed decision in choosing a cat. Cats are adorable and most people love to have them as pets.
The Snowshoe Cat Breed
The snowshoe cat breed is the largest of the three recognized breeds. Snowshoe cats are a breed of domestic cats that originated in Canada. The snowshoe cat’s ancestors, the Canadian lynx, were found in Canada.
Appearance: Snowshoe cats can be any color including black, white, cream, and tabby. They weigh between 12-14 pounds and stand approximately 20-24 inches tall. The average lifespan of a snowshoe cat is 10-12 years.
Behavior: Snowshoe cats are very playful and friendly. They love to play and climb trees. The snowshoe cat is very independent and does not need to be socialized with other cats.
Snowshoe cat care: Snowshoe cats require little maintenance and should be kept in a home with a fenced yard. The cat will require a warm place to sleep and a diet that includes high protein.
Health: Snowshoe cats are very healthy and can live up to 15-20 years.
Temperament: This cat breed is very affectionate and sweet. They love being held and cuddled, especially when she is in the middle of eating. They will sit in your lap and purr for hours at a time if you let them. They will even curl up on your pillow or bed.
The Ragdoll Cat Breed
The Ragdoll cat breed is a hybrid of the Maine coon cat and the Abyssinian cat. This is a medium-sized cat breed that weighs between 6-8 pounds and stands approximately 18-20 inches tall. The average lifespan of a Ragdoll cat is 10-12 years.
Appearance: Ragdolls are very friendly and playful. They have a small head with large ears, a thick body, and a long tail. Their fur is short and silky.
Behavior: Ragdolls are very loving, affectionate cats. They get along well with other cats and dogs.
Health Issues: Ragdolls tend to be healthy. However, some health issues can occur. These include: The eyes are considered to be the most sensitive part of the cat’s body. Ragdolls are prone to glaucoma because of this.
Ragdoll care: Ragdolls need to be kept warm and cozy. They also require lots of attention. They have a living span of about 12 to 15 years if properly exercised and cared for.
Temperament: Ragdolls are friendly and fun-loving cats. They are cool to be around and rarely lose their calm. They love being cuddled and love to sit on your lap when watching TV or resting. The Ragdoll has become one of the most popular cat breeds.
Learn more about: Do Ragdoll Cats Like To Be Held?
Differences Between Snowshoe Cat vs Ragdoll
There are several notable differences between the snowshoe cat vs Ragdoll cats that include:
- The Snowshoe cat is a domestic breed, while the Ragdoll is exotic.
- The Snowshoe cat has a long body and legs while the Ragdoll is much shorter and more compact.
- The Snowshoe cat has a higher energy level than the Ragdoll and is a much better hunter.
- The Snowshoe cat has a more active and playful personality than the Ragdoll, which tends to be more docile.
- Snowshoe cats are generally heavier in weight, while Ragdolls tend to be lighter in weight.
- The Snowshoe cat has a slightly longer tail than the Ragdoll, but it is not as bushy.
- Snowshoe cats can be extremely independent more than Ragdolls.
- Snowshoe cats are usually quite reserved and shy, unlike Ragdoll that is outgoing and friendly.
Similarities Between Snowshoe Cat vs Ragdoll
Snowshoe Cats and Ragdolls Personality: Snowshoe cats and ragdolls have very similar personalities.
- Both are playful and curious.
- They are easy-going and friendly.
- Both enjoy human interaction.
- These breeds are intelligent and very affectionate.
- Both are loving, loyal, and protective of their families.
- These cats are both very smart and have a lot of energy.
- Both are stubborn and independent.
- They are very confident and are great with children.
- Both are affectionate with other pets.
- They can be quite vocal when they feel lonely or need attention.
There are as many similarities as there are differences between snowshoe cat vs ragdoll cat. They all have the same basic anatomy and genetics, they all have the same temperament and behavior, they all love to play, they all have the same food and water needs, and so on. The only thing that is different is their size.
We have included not just the differences but the characteristics of each breed to keep you enlightened about each of these wonderful cat breeds. Should you choose to adopt a cat, this article will help you understand each of these breeds before bringing them home.
If you have already brought yours home, it’s never too late to learn a few things about it. What other cat breed do you want to learn about? Let us know in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my cat is a Snowshoe?
Snowshoes can be long- or short-haired and solid colored or tabby, with white or other colors. A Snowshoe’s color is determined by the amount of pigment in their fur. Snowshoes come in all sizes and colors, so your pet may look like a Snowshoe, but it’s not the same thing!
Are Snowshoe cats affectionate?
Yes, Snowshoe cats are very loving and affectionate. They are very devoted to their family and will love you back. Snowshoes are very intelligent, but they can be a little stubborn.
Is a Snowshoe cat hypoallergenic?
Snowshoe cats are very hypoallergenic, just like Ragdolls. They don’t shed or have any hairballs. Snowshoes also do not scratch like Ragdolls, so they won’t scratch furniture or rugs.
Can Snowshoe cats have green eyes?
Yes, Snowshoes can have green eyes while Ragdoll have blue eyes that are magical.